Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

WHERE IS ARSENAL'S "BEAUTIFUL" FOOTBALL?

Arsenal team 2012
WILL THE NEXT GENERATION DELIVER BEAUTIFUL FOOTBALL OR TROPHIES?
One of my friends told me a few years back : "Arsenal will play some pretty football but they won't win anything." It was the 2006/07 season. I don't think I need to say more about that season! Now when I think over what he said, sure he was right when he claimed it. But I wonder. Do we still play "pretty" football?

First of all, what is "pretty" football? Does it mean playing quick,short-passing game; or quick one-touch passing game; or passing your way to the goal; or passing and scoring lots of goals? Most would claim that short,quick passing game is what Arsenal like to play. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But a key component that made our game "pretty" was one-touch play. The Invincibles were masters in the art and mesmerized the world with such plays. The next generation at Arsenal that came close to emulating the same style were the players from 2006/07 season with Fabregas,Hleb and Flamini at the heart of everything. I dare say such football is a thing of the past if one looks at the type of football that we play at the moment. Infact, Manchester United and even the so-called "smaller" teams like Swansea and Southampton arguably have better chance of winning the title of "pretty" football!

The irony is that we did not win anything when we played "pretty" football and it does not look like we will win anything when we don't play "pretty" football : ( .

No comments:

Post a Comment